Posted: June 23rd, 2021
In Weeks 1 and 2, you were introduced to the concepts of in-group/out-group dynamics, selective attention, and blind spots, as well as several explanations of prejudice that were presented in the Dr. West video.
Your first paper in this course will represent an exercise in application of the course material to a “current event” of your choice. You must research and locate a current event involving prejudice and discrimination, and analyze this event in terms of in-group/out-group dynamics, blind spots, and one of the theories of prejudice presented by Dr. West that you believe most directly applies.
Your paper must be typed, double-spaced, using a size 12 font and be free of spelling and grammatical errors. You must write in full and complete sentences (i.e., do not use bullet points, lists, or outlines).
Your paper must be written in your own words. Do not copy and paste text from other sources, as this is a violation of academic honesty.
You must address each of the essay questions in the order presented, making certain to number each response in relation to the question you are addressing. Please make certain to begin each question on a new line of text. Do not copy and paste the questions into the body of your paper.
Paper #1 Guidelines
Do some research online and locate an example of a current event involving prejudice and discrimination. This event should be something that has been in the news within the last five years. The event may involve any type of prejudice (race, sexual orientation, immigration, women, social policy, religion, etc.).
Once you locate your event, familiarize yourself with the circumstances, people and contexts surrounding this event, as you will be required to describe it in your paper.
Make certain to copy the link, as you will be required to include it in your paper for my review.
Next, review the course material from Weeks 1 and 2, making certain that you understand the concepts of in-group/out-group dynamics, selective attention, and blind spots, as well as the four theories of prejudice discussed in Dr. West’s video presentation, Explanations of Prejudice.
Reflect on how these concepts and theories relate to the current event that you’ve chosen and make note of which of the four theories of prejudice might apply to your example. The four theories you must choose from are: 1) Terror Management Theory, 2) Uncertainty Reduction Theory, 3) Social Dominance Theory or 4) Social Identity Theory.
Write your paper and review it for spelling and grammatical errors. Make any corrections or revisions that are necessary.
Submit your paper by the required deadline, making certain to save a copy to your computer.
Note: please contact me with any questions you may have prior to submission. I’m always here to help!
Concepts to Apply
· In-groups and out-groups
· Category vs. target-based judgments
· Selective attention and blind spots
· Explanations of Prejudice: Dr. West’s Video
o Terror Management Theory
o Uncertainty Reduction Theory
o Social Identity Theory
o Social Dominance Theory
Please address each of the following questions in the order presented. Number each of your responses and begin each on a new line of text.
1. In one paragraph, briefly identify and describe the current event you have chosen for this paper. Be certain to include where, when, and how it happened as well as who was involved.
Required: Copy and paste the link to your event at the end of this question.
2. Identify and describe the in-groups and out-groups that were involved in this event and discuss how each group may have engaged in category-based judgments about the other. Complete responses will specify what types of category-based traits and characteristics were utilized by each group in forming impressions of the other.
3. Explain how the process of selective attention and blind spots may have influenced what transpired in this event. Complete responses will include what information was paid attention to and what aspects may have been neglected. Was any target-based information overlooked about the groups involved and, if so, in what way?
4. Which of the four theories of prejudice presented in Dr. West’s video do you believe is most directly related to this current event? Identify the theory by name and explain how and why you believe this theory applies. The four theories you must choose from are: 1) Terror Management Theory, 2) Uncertainty Reduction Theory, 3) Social Dominance Theory, or 4) Social Identity Theory.
5. Based on the information that you learned in Weeks 1 and 2, what strategy might you recommend to resolve the conflict brought about by this event? Please be certain to include specific concepts from the course material to support your response.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.