Field experience a: promoting communication skills in the english
Observe and interview a certified teacher teaching English language arts in a grade 1st grade classroom. Observe the teacher and ask how he or she communicates and fosters communication with students and parents.
Your interview questions and observation should inquire about the following:
- What types of ELA activities do you use to teach skills related to speaking, viewing, listening,
- How do you foster whole class social interaction and communication in the English language arts classroom?
- How do you foster small group social interaction and communication in the English language arts classroom?
- What strategies do you use to support the diverse communication needs of exceptional students and English language learners?
- What are different ways you communicate with parents? How do you explain the importance of literacy skills to them? Do you explain ways they can help their children develop these skills? If so, how?
Ask additional questions as appropriate.
In 250‐500 words, summarize and reflect upon your observations and interview.
Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
Submit the interview questions, a copy of your interview notes, and your reflection as one document.