Eng 125 wk1 discussion 2
Week 1 – Discussion 2
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Writing About Literature
As we explored in the “Why Read Literature?” discussion, literature can provide us with a multitude of perspectives, ideas, and experiences. Additionally, there is a long tradition of critical reading and writing about literature (i.e., analyzing literature to seek a deeper understanding about various interests and concerns). Chapter 2 focuses on these ideas. Your initial post should be at least 200 words in length. The minimum word count does not include references.
In your post, answer the following questions:
- Why might a writer feel compelled to write about literature? How does it benefit us personally and/or professionally?
- What kind of writing and thinking skills do you hope that you will develop in this course based on the description of writing about literature in sections 1.1, 2.1 and 2.3 of the text?
As you consider these questions and begin answering them, incorporate readings found in Chapters 1-3 to help illustrate the points you make.
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial posts. Each response should be at least 75 words in length and should address two or more of the following points:
- Do you agree with your classmates’ perspectives? Why, or why not? Be specific.
- Ask a specific question to encourage further discussion on the topic.
- Challenge your classmates’ interpretation of literature and/or point of view.
- Do a small amount of research and share what you learn with your peers about the topic discussed in this post.