LEARNING AND COMMUNICATING ONLINE!
Presenting your ideas, or yourself, is an important skill in professional environments. In fact, it is one of the key ‘soft skills’ that many 21st century employers seek in prospective employees at all levels. Indeed, the capacity to also reflect on your learning and develop is also a valued 21st century professional soft skill.
This assignment will set you up for success in future units as well as when you make the leap into your new career. The task involves presentation of self as well as reflection on self. For this presentation, you will be required to choose between developing either a Microsoft PowerPoint slideshow or a scripted video to be uploaded to an unlisted YouTube playlist. No matter what your familiarity with PowerPoint or video recording, editing and uploading platforms, the following things will set you up for success:
- follow the instructions given in this document
- read the criteria and rubric carefully
- complete the activities associated with this task
- seek feedback from your eLA and fellow students
- look for examples of great presentations that you can borrow ideas from.
Please note: if you choose the PowerPoint option, you are not required to do an oral presentation. Instead, you will present a creative, visually appealing PowerPoint presentation for submission via Turnitin. Nevertheless, as with the uploaded, scripted video option, this is your chance to present information about yourself in an engaging and visually interesting way while conveying your message clearly and effectively.
Related learning outcomes
This assignment assesses the following unit learning outcomes:
- Construct and publish knowledge in the online environment.
- Reflect on self as a learner.
Use the following slideshow or video content criteria as a guideline:
- My areas of expertise—what do I bring to this course? Think about the attributes or personal qualities that will cross over to the discipline you are studying.
- My current knowledge of the online environment. As students who are developing your capabilities in this area, we don’t expect you to be an expert.
- Unit goals.Identify one to two key skills that you want to have by the end of the unit.
- Course goals.Identify one to two key skills that you want to have by the end of the course. Include how these will benefit you in your future profession.
Steps to completion
Please follow the steps below to complete this assignment:
- Decide on which option of this assignment you wish to complete for your final submission.
- Bring together your content as per the video or PowerPoint content criteria listed above.
- Create a script.
Now follow the instructions for whichever type of submission you have chosen: PowerPoint slideshow presentation or Webcam video presentation.
Note: You must follow the word count of 600 words +/-10% for the script section of your PPT (no less than 540 words and no more than 660 words). As you won’t be speaking during the presentation, your PowerPoint will need to do the talking for you. To avoid crowding your PowerPoint with lots of text, you will need add the parts of the presentation you would usually speak to the notes at the foot of each slide. A PowerPoint template (PPT 119 KB) is set up for this purpose.
- Follow the word count: 600 words +/-10% (no less than 540 words and no more than 660 words).
- Develop a structure: Consider structuring your PowerPoint presentation around the content criteria. You may use the linked template to build your presentation, but developing your own is fine if you ensure that it addresses the criteria.
- Create your PowerPoint: Ensure that you sequence your text so that it is as readable as possible; try to avoid crowding your presentation with too much text, and split your content up into multiple slides.
- Convert your PowerPoint to PDF: Convert your PowerPoint to PDF using the instructions located in the ‘Submission details overview’ section of this page.
- Check your PowerPoint to the originality section of Canvas: Submit using the details provided below. This will allow you to check for any similarity concerns and importantly, allow you to make sure your notes section is visible. If your eLA cannot access the notes section of your assignment, penalties may apply.
Word limit: 600 words
Notes the outcomes of the Success Profiling Tool. Provides specific detail of how knowledge of the attribute identified will shape growth as a learner and in future professional practice. Provides appropriate supporting evidence to justify position.
Provides excellent insight into knowledge of the online environment with clear references to concepts covered in the unit (how we learn, the reliability and credibility of the online environment). Provides appropriate supporting evidence to justify position.
One to two unit goals in relation to specific skills have been provided. A clear definition of skill(s) and an excellent justification of the inclusion of the skill(s) is evident. Provides appropriate supporting evidence to justify their position.
One to two course goals in relation to specific skills have been provided. A clear definition of the skill(s) and an excellent justification of the inclusion of the skill(s) is evident. Provides appropriate supporting evidence to justify their position.
Video or PowerPoint information is presented in a logical, and engaging sequence captivating the audience.
Highly creative and unique presentation style clearly showcasing relevant individual strengths and capabilities. Clearly appropriate for a professional audience.
All external sources are referenced correctly (according to Swinburne Harvard or APA style).