Module 8 Vocabulary- Neurological Assessment
Nursing Journal Article: CE: The Physiology and Processing of Pain: A ReviewAttached Files:
Link to file (212 B)
Neurological Article Questions
1. Pain- both acute and chronic-cost on an annual basis in the U.S. approximately how much?
2. What is the frequency of pain and visits for pain complaints to physicians at the present time?
3. More than 2/3’s of persons with chronic pain have had it how long?
4. What is the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) definition of pain?
5. A nociceptor is defined as…?
6. Name the steps for pain perception from the peripheral tissue nociceptive receptor.
7. Name three different types of non-nociceptive receptors.
8. Name the two types of fibers found in the spinal cord.
9. Describe what you would find in both ventral horns and dorsal horns of the spinal cord (hint: see figure 3).
10. What is Lissauer’s tract?
11. What are the three tracts that transmit nociceptive/pain impulses?
12. Name six supraspinal structures in the brainstem and diencephalon where the nociceptive signal travels?
13. What is a major component of pain modulation circuit called?
14. Control of ascending sensory input by tonic inhibitory control of neurons occur where?
15. Which area of the medulla of the brain exhibits both inhibitory and facilitation of nociceptive transmission?
16. How do NSAIDS work to modulate the pain network?